The buildings are situated on the north side of the river at the mouth of the valley, which narrows downstream (west) and is followed by an unpaved road, connecting with Dayton further along US 50, near Carson City. The fort has a traditional rectangular layout, with a central quadrangle lined by rows of buildings on each side. The stage station is one mile east, along US 95, while the campground is to the south, in partly wooded land near the river, adjacent to a railway branch line. In 1994 the park acquired a corridor of land further east, either side of the river, known as the Carson River Ranches
; this connects the fort to Lahontan State Recreation Area.
Cemetery and Stage Station
One point of interest along the approach route to the fort is the old cemetery, a small plot of land enclosed by a white picket fence. All soldiers buried here were removed in 1884, their remains transferred to Carson City (the Lone Mountain Cemetery); now the only occupants are Samuel and Eliza Buckland and five of their children who died young. The Bucklands bought the abandoned fort in 1869 and built a ranchhouse nearby, a building that also served as the stage station, replacing an earlier structure. The two story house contains 19 rooms and was largely built using timber salvaged from the floors and roofs of the fort buildings. The station is on the east side of US 95 adjacent to the Carson River, and is linked to the fort by a riverside path, the Orchard Trail.
The fort is circled by a loop road, which has spurs to the campground and to day use areas near the river. The main parking area is at the visitor center/museum, on the northeast side. The ruins are viewed by walking along a half mile path around the quadrangle; visitors are requested not to leave the trail in order to avoid potential damage to the structures. All the brick and adobe buildings look rather similar, lacking any individually distinctive features, though information plaques in front of most of them explain their various functions. The east side of the quadrangle has the most complete buildings; from north to south they are the post headquarters, quartermaster's storehouse, subsistence storehouse, laundress's quarters (this a little further from the path) and the hospital, an L-shaped building. To the south are the magazine (ammunitions store) and guardhouse, while all of the west section contains barracks blocks. Along the north side are four minor foundations and two larger remains, all officers' quarters, and all originally of two storeys.