Grafton is reached from the sleepy town of Rockville
along Hwy 9; initially south on a residential street (Bridge Lane) that crosses the Virgin River on a historic, single-track iron bridge (constructed in 1924), and then west, along the base of the low, red cliffs of Moenkopi sandstone that separate the lush river valley from the arid rocky land beyond. After 1.5 miles the main route curves back south, climbs into the hills and becomes the Smithsonian Butte Road
, a 9-mile scenic backway through a land of colorful mesas and canyons that eventually meets Hwy 59 and so provides a useful short-cut between Zion National Park and the Arizona Strip, as well as offering access to some good free campsites, though a recent change in regulations prohibits camping within half a mile of the highway. At the point where Bridge Lane bends south, a lesser, unpaved road continues roughly parallel with the river for another 2 miles to the ghost town.
The first point of interest is the old cemetery, which contains a few dozen graves from the period 1860 - 1910, with telling inscriptions that give some insight into the harsh life at that time, such as the three Berry brothers (and one wife), all killed by Indians on April 2nd 1866, or the five children of John and Charlotte Ballard, all of whom died young between 1865 and 1877, none living for more than 9 years. The Ballard parents are also interred, living until 1891 and 1901 respectively. The Berry memorial is the largest, at the center of the graveyard, and is enclosed by a wooden fence for added protection. Several Native Americans are also buried here.
Past the cemetery, the road turns due north, and ends at a parking area 350 feet from the Virgin River. The town once extended nearly half a mile west, but none of the buildings in this section remain, and most of the land is privately owned; instead, the five surviving structures are close to the road - two on the west side, three to the east. The first building is a barn, with outhouse, followed by the John Wood home (built in 1877), shielded from the road by several ancient cottonwood trees. To the east, the largest building is a combined church/schoolhouse dating from 1886, while close by is the Alonzo Russell home, a two-story dwelling with an elegant veranda at the front. The fifth building, the Louisa Russell home, is right opposite, and both adjoin farmland containing several dozen pieces of faming equipment and machinery.